Child Abuse Hotlines
- In the US or Canada, call the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453).
- In the UK, call 0800 1111 (NSPCC Childline)
- Australia: 1800 688 009 (Child Abuse Prevention Service)
- New Zealand: 080 54 37 54 (Kidsline)
- Or visit Child Helpline International for a list of other international child helplines.
Domestic Violence Hotlines
For abused women:
- In the U.S., call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE).
- UK: call Women’s Aid at 0808 2000 247.
- Australia: National Domestic Violence Hotline 1800 737 732
- Or visit International Directory of Domestic Violence Agencies for a worldwide list of helplines, shelters, and crisis centers.
For abused men:
- In the US, The Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men & Women specializes in supporting male victims of abuse and offers a 24-hour helpline: 1-888-7HELPLINE (1-888-743-5754)
- UK: ManKind Initiative offers a national helpline for men at 01823 334244.
- Australia: One in Three Campaign offers help and resources for male victims.
Elder Abuse Hotlines
- In the U.S., call Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116. The person who answers the phone will refer you to a local agency that can help. The Eldercare Locator answers the phone Monday through Friday, 9 am to 8 pm, Eastern Time.
- UK: 080 8808 8141 or Ireland: 1800 940 010 (Action on Elder Abuse).
- Australia: 1300 651 192 (Elder Abuse Prevention Unit).
- South Africa: 080 111 2131 (Age In Action).
- Canada: visit Alberta Elder Abuse for local helplines.
- New Zealand: visit Age Concern NZ for local helplines.
- In the U.S. – Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or the National Hopeline Network at 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433). These toll-free crisis hotlines offer 24-hour suicide prevention and support. Your call is free and confidential.
- Crisis Centres across Canada – Locate suicide crisis centers in Canada by province. (Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention)
- Samaritans UK – 24-hour suicide support for people in the UK call 116 123 (Samaritans)
- Lifeline Australia – 24-hour suicide crisis support service at 13 11 14. (Lifeline Australia)
- Other countries – Visit Befrienders Worldwide to find a helpline in your country.
Cutting and Self-Harm Hotlines
- In the U.S., S.A.F.E. Alternatives (Self-Abuse Finally Ends) offers help for people who self-harm. Includes treatment referrals, recovery information, and an information helpline: 1-800-366-2288. (S.A.F.E. Alternatives)
- In the UK, Mind Infoline – Information on self-harm and a helpline at or text 86463. (Mind)
- In Australia, Kids Helpline – A helpline for children and teens to call at 1800 55 1800. (Kids Helpline)
- In Canada, Kids Help Phone – A helpline for kids and teens to call for help with any issue, including cutting and self-injury. Call 1-800-668-6868. (Kids Help Phone)
U.S. veterans with PTSD
- Vet Centers offer free counseling to combat veterans and their families. To find out more about the resources and benefits available to you, you can also call the VA Health Benefits Service Center at 1-877-222-VETS.
- Veterans Crisis Line: call 1-800-273-8255 (TALK)
Other nations' veterans with PTSD
- Canadian veterans: visit Operational Stress Injury Social Support (OSISS) or call 1-800-883-6094 to talk to a peer who has been through similar experiences.
- UK veterans: visit Combat Stress or call the 24-hour helpline 0800 138 1619.
- Australian veterans: visit Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS) or call 1800 011 046.