Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia
Dementia is a serious, debilitating challenge but it can be managed in ways that support the quality of life for both patient and caretaker. These articles can help you identify, understand and act constructively in the face of dementia.
A diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or dementia can be frightening for you and your loved ones. It’s normal to worry about what a diagnosis of dementia means, what will happen, and how you’ll adjust. Educating yourself about Alzheimer’s and dementia can help you make important decisions early and feel more in control during this difficult time. Starting treatment right away is also important, as early intervention can prolong independence and help you continue to live life fully.
You’ll also want to work hand in hand with your family members and make sure that caregivers have the support and assistance they need.
Interpreting the score:
- 0 to 4: No cause for concern
- 5 to 14: Memory loss may be MCI, an early warning of Alzheimer's
- 15 and above: Alzheimer's may have already developed
This questionnaire is not intended to replace professional diagnosis.
Source: BMC Geriatrics
Alzheimer’s and dementia: the basics
- Alzheimer's Disease: Symptoms, Stages, Diagnosis, and Coping Tips
- Understanding Dementia: Signs, Symptoms, Types, and Treatment
- Alzheimer’s & Dementia Prevention: How to Reduce Your Risk and Protect Your Brain
- Recognizing Alzheimer’s Disease: Early Warning Signs & Diagnosis
- What’s Causing Your Memory Loss? It’s Not Necessarily Alzheimer’s
Types of dementia
- Vascular Dementia: Signs, Symptoms, Prevention, and Treatment of Multi-Infarct and Other Types of Vascular Dementia
- Parkinson’s Disease and Parkinson’s Dementia: Signs, Symptoms, and Treatment
- Lewy Body Dementia: Signs, Symptoms, Treatment, and Caregiving for Dementia with Lewy Bodies
- Huntington’s Disease: Symptoms, Treatment, and Hope
- Pick's Disease: Signs, Symptoms, and Support for Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD)
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease: Types, Symptoms, and Treatment
Caregiving for Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s Care: Planning and Preparing for the Road Ahead
- Alzheimer's Behavior Management: Tips for Managing Common Symptoms and Problems in Dementia Patients