Suicide is one of those subjects that many of us feel uncomfortable discussing. If you're the one feeling suicidal, you may be afraid that you'll be judged or labeled "crazy" if you open up. Or maybe that no one could possibly understand. It's not much easier for concerned friends and family members who may hesitate to speak up for fear that they're wrong or might say the wrong thing.The important thing to understand is that feeling suicidal is not a character defect; it only means that the person has more pain than they feel capable of coping with. But help is out there. Talking openly about suicidal thoughts and feelings can save a life. So don't wait: reach out.
If you’re feeling suicidal right now, please call for help!
- In the U.S., call 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- In the UK, call 08457 90 90 90.
- In Australia, call 13 11 14.
- Or visit IASP to find a helpline in your country.
- Or talk to someone you trust and let them know how bad things are.