ADD/ADHD – articles and other resources
While ADHD can create many challenges for both children and adults, it is possible to find ways to stay focused, turn chaos into calm, and manage the symptoms of distraction, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.
Attention deficit disorder—also known as ADHD or ADD—is not merely a problem with paying attention. Whether you’re a child or an adult, ADHD makes it difficult to manage the multiple tasks of daily life, especially complex tasks that require organization, planning, and sustained focus.
ADHD is challenging, but once you understand the problem and how it affects your (or your child’s) life, you can learn to compensate for areas of weakness and take advantage of your many strengths and talents.
What is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?
ADHD is a disorder that affects both children and adults. It is identified by a persistent pattern of behavior across multiple settings that results in social, educational, or work difficulties. Symptoms include trouble sustaining attention, difficulty organizing tasks and activities, hyperactivity, and impulsive behavior.
ADHD in Children: It’s normal for children to occasionally forget things, act without thinking, or get fidgety. But inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity are also signs of attention deficit disorder (ADHD). Learn how to spot the signs and symptoms and get the right help for your child. MORE »
Adult ADHD: Attention deficit disorder is not just a problem in children. It affects many adults, and the symptoms can get in the way of everything from your relationships to your career. The more you know about adult ADD, the more you can do to manage it. MORE »
ADHD Medications: Medication can help reduce symptoms of ADHD but there are side effects and other treatment options you also need to know about. Here’s what you need to know about ADHD medications in order to make an informed decision. MORE »
ADD/ADHD in children
- ADHD in Children: Signs and Symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder in Kids
- ADHD Parenting Tips: Helping Children and Teens with Attention Deficit Disorder
- ADD / ADHD and School: Helping Children and Teens with ADHD Succeed at School
- Teaching Students with ADD / ADHD: Tips for Teachers to Help Students with ADD / ADHD Succeed at School
- ADD / ADHD Treatment in Children: Finding Treatments That Work for Kids and Teens
ADD/ADHD in children and adults
- ADD / ADHD Tests and Diagnosis: Diagnosing Attention Deficit Disorder in Children and Adults
- ADD / ADHD Medications: Are ADHD Drugs Right for You or Your Child?
- Adult ADD / ADHD: Signs, Symptoms, Effects, and Treatment
- Help for Adult ADD / ADHD: Tips for Managing Symptoms and Getting Focused
- Treatment for Adult ADD / ADHD: A Guide to Finding Treatments That Work
- Adult ADHD and Relationships: Tips for Developing a Solid Partnership
Whether you’re a full-time grandparent, a step-grandparent, or a long distance grandparent living thousands of miles away, you can find new ways to strengthen family ties and provide your grandchildren with joyful memories and valuable life lessons. MORE »
Exercise and fitness
Regular exercise can make a big difference when it comes to managing ADHD. Research shows that physical movement improves focus, attention span, memory, and the ability to switch between tasks, so start moving today!