In today's world, grandparents are taking on important new roles. Here’s what you need to know about building strong relationships with your grandkids and supporting their healthy development.
Many grandparents are raising their grandchildren, shouldering some of the childcare responsibilities while both parents are working or to give a single mom or dad some relief. Or perhaps you have needed to step in as the primary caretaker and are wondering about your rights and the possibility of support services. Whatever your situation, there are practical and emotional issues to consider as you build your relationship with your grandkids.
Help for grandparents
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: The Rewards and Challenges of Parenting the Second Time Around
- Grandparents' Rights and Custody Options: A Guide to Legal Rights and Support Services
- How to Be a Better Grandparent: Tips on Building Great Relationships with your Grandkids
- Children and Divorce: Helping Kids Cope with Separation and Divorce
- Caregiver Stress and Burnout: Tips for Recharging and Finding Balance
- Attachment Issues and Reactive Attachment Disorder: Symptoms, Treatment, and Hope for Children with Insecure Attachment
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: No matter how much you love your grandchildren, taking them into your home requires major adjustments. Find tips for making the transition easier, navigating emotional challenges, and making your grandkids feel secure. MORE »
How to Be a Better Grandparent: Whether you’re a full-time grandparent, step-grandparent, or long distance grandparent, there are things you can do to strengthen the bond with your grandchildren and create joyful memories together. MORE »
The physical and emotional demands of parenting in later life can take a lot out of you. That’s why it’s vitally important that you take care of yourself. A healthy you equals healthy grandchildren. Learn about what you can do to regain or maintain your zest for living, boost your energy, and feel your best at any age. MORE »
Stress can grind you down and take a huge toll on your emotional and physical health. Left unchecked, it can lead to anxiety, depression, and even illness. Learn about what you can to do manage and reduce stress in your daily life so you can confidently face challenges and stay off the emotional roller coaster. MORE »