Therapists - in the U.S.
- Types of Mental Health Professionals – Offers an overview of different types of mental health professionals, and practical resources for finding them. (NAMI)
- Mental Health Providers: Tips of Finding One – Discusses how to find a therapist, insurance considerations and what to expect during therapy. (Mayo Clinic)
- Psychologist Locator – Searchable directory for finding a psychologist in the U.S. and Canada . (American Psychological Association)
You can also search by category:
- Search for a Psychologist; Search for a Social Worker; or call the American Psychiatric Association: 1-888-35-PSYCH
Therapists - international
- Search for a Therapist in your country by clicking on “Search Overseas”.
- In Canada, Search for a Psychologist or Search for a Marriage or Family Therapist by clicking on “Search Canada”.
- In the UK, Relate offers relationship and family counseling; you can Learn about Psychotherapy, including where to find a therapist, or Find Psychological Therapy Services in your local area.
- Lifeline's Service Finder (13 11 14) offers a directory of low-cost mental health services; or you can Find a Psychologist or Find a Mental Health Practitioner.
Therapy for Anxiety
Anxiety disorder therapists – U.S. & Canada
- Find a Therapist – Search for anxiety disorder treatment providers in your area and find advice on selecting the right doctor or therapist. (Anxiety and Depression Association of America)
- Find a Therapist – Searchable directory of licensed professionals who belong to the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies. (Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies)
- Find a Therapist – A directory of therapists in the US and Canada. (Psychology Today)
Anxiety disorder therapists – Other Countries
- UK Therapy Services– Provides a database of therapists and self-help groups in the UK. (Anxiety UK)
- Therapist Directory – Therapists in South Africa specializing in anxiety and panic disorders (Therapist Directory)
- SANE Helpline – Telephone helpline offering information about where to find treatment for anxiety disorders in Australia 1800 18 7263. (SANE Australia).
- Find a Psychologist in Australia – List of psychologists specializing in anxiety disorders in select areas of Australia. (Anxiety Treatment Australia).
Therapy for PTSD and Trauma
Trauma Therapists – U.S.
For help locating a trauma therapist in the U.S., treatment center, or support group in your area, contact the Sidran Traumatic Stress Institute by email or by phone at (410) 825-8888 ext. 203.
Trauma Therapists – Other Countries
- In Canada, visit Canadian Mental Health Association.
- In the UK, visit UK Trauma Services.
- In Australia, contact Phoenix Australia Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health.
- In other countries, visit International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies for more resources.
Help for U.S. veterans with PTSD
- Vet Centers offer free counseling to combat veterans and their families. To find out more about the resources and benefits available to you, you can also call the VA Health Benefits Service Center at 1-877-222-VETS.
- Click here for a nationwide directory of facilities for veterans, including VA hospitals and Vet Centers, provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Help for other nations’ veterans with PTSD
- Canadian veterans: visit Operational Stress Injury Social Support (OSISS) or call 1-800-883-6094 to talk to a peer who has been through similar experiences.
- UK veterans: visit Combat Stress or call the 24-hour helpline 0800 138 1619.
- Australian veterans: visit Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS) or call 1800 011 046.